Oakville-Burlington History - Early Settlement to War of 1812
After the American Revolutionary War, many United Empire Loyalists settled in the fertile region along Lake Ontario's shores. This boosted the population and economic development of the lands between Upper Canada's original capital at Newark (now Niagara-on-the-Lake) and the new one at York (now Toronto).
Lots for settlers were surveyed using Dundas Street (Regional Road 5) as a base line. Lots south of Dundas Street were given to United Empire Loyalists as rewards for service. North Halton was settled quickly by immigrants from Britain, Scotland and Ireland.
Burlington was created on lands awarded in 1798 to Joseph Brant, the great Mohawk Chief, as a reward for his services to the British Crown during the American Revolutionary War, although an early pioneer (George Chisholm) had settled in the vicinity in 1791. The name Burlington is thought to be an altered form of the name Bridlington, a town in Yorkshire, England.
After simmering treaty and border disputes finally erupted into the War of 1812 and the Americans repeatedly attacked British Upper Canada, including one time landing at and burning Fort York. In 1813, the British regulars and Canadian militia defeated invading American troops at the Battle of Stoney Creek, and the War between England and the US ended in 1814. This led the British to develop Upper Canada with greater haste.
Halton County was named in 1816 for William Halton, secretary to Francis Gore who served as Upper Canada's Lieutenant Governor intermittently from 1806 to 1816.
More history of Oakville-Burlington